Exploring Cairns with Kids in Far North QLD
Cairns and Far North QLD has the BEST kids activities for our locals and families on holiday!
Here are some of the EarthToys Family MUST DO activities when spending time in Cairns with Kids!
From memorable life-time experiences of exploring the Great Barrier Reef, diving into tropical waterfalls, hiking through rainforest through to all the simple and FREE kids activities like swimming at the lagoon in the centre of Cairns city, finding all the BEST kids playgrounds, icecreamerys and local markets!
The Earth Toys family LOVE Exploring Cairns -
and want to share with you some of our favourite experiences to help inspire YOU to get out and enjoy the region with your kids.
Wharf One Cafe - Roller Skating - Fig Tree Park
Let's start with all the FREE Kids Activities for families in Cairns City
- Esplanade Lagoon, a manmade swimming hole, BBQs, Cafe
- Muddies Playground and Cafe
- Figtree Playground and Wharf one Cafe
- Skate Park and Rock Climbing Wall on the esplandade
- Take a long Esplanade board walk and see the buskers at night
- Kids Nature Park and Centanary Lakes
- Botanic Gardens and Tanks Markets
- Rustys Fruit and Veg Markets on the weekend, Best Market Lunches!
- Night Markets every night from 6pm
- Frozen yogurt at YOMG and Ice Cream at Gelocchio or Mungalli IceCreamery
- Locally made chocolate at Cairns Coffee Works
- House made BAGELS at Bury me standing!
Cairns Esplanade is has some amazing ART sculptures!!
Centennial Lakes Park and Nature Park is a beautiful place to visit for a walk or picnic
Next are our favourite ( FREE ) Family Day Trips that are a close drive from Cairns
- Goomboora Park Creek, Parklands and Playground
- Yorkies Beach & North and South Playgrounds ( shaded by trees )
- Stoney Creek Waterfalls and Nature Hikes, walk to the TOP!
- The Rocks, a perfect swimming water hole for children of all ages with shallow pools to swim in for toddler and large rocks to jump off!
- Crystal Cascades, beautiful natural creek, great for tubing!
- Lake Placid - an amazing view and perfect spot for picnics or rainforest walk ( also has Alexandros Pizzaria #yum ) No Swimming at Lake Placid as there may be CROCS!
- Barron Falls Waterfall, a MUST see after big rainfall in wetseason
- Ellis Beach and Ellis Bar and Grill
- Goldsbourah Valley Picnic Spot
Lake Placid - Great spot for a picnic, bush walk, Beautiful Pizzeria! But no swimming as there are Croc sightings!
Stoney Creek - Swimming, Waterfalls and Nature Hike
Here are the Earth Toys Family's Top ( PAID ) kids activities to do in Cairns
- Zoom, Wildlife park and HIGH ROPES CLIMB right in the city centre
- Hartleys Crocodile Park
- SugarWorld Water Park
- Roller Skating Rink
- Wake Boarding Park ( ages 10 + )
- Go Kart ( ages 5 for duel driving and 11 + for Go Cart )
- White Water Rafting ( ages 6 + for some and 13 + for others )
- Ice Skating
- Horse Riding
- Rock Climbing Club for members
- Cairns Museum - Lots of great infomation and displays about Cairns and surrounding areas History - more Ideal for kids aged 5 years +
Cairns ZOOM High Ropes Climb & Wild Life Domb in the heart of Cairns City
Ice Skating at West Court Plaza
We Loved going Horse Back riding with Mount and Ride and seeing the Blue Kookaburra at Wild Life Park Port Douglas
Go up to Kuranda for the day!
Etiher drive up the range ( 30 min )
or you can take the family on a BIG ADVENTURE and travel up to Kuranda by -
- SKY RAIL
- Historic Kuranda Train
- Return Trips to Cairns available
Kuranda Original Markets
Tree Top views of the rainforest and Barron Falls on the Sky Rail
Sight seeing on the Historic Kuranda Train
Spend the day wandering around the sleepy town of Kuranda FNQ
- Visit the Original Markets where they have Mini Golf, French Crepes
- Magical Lane Fairy Tea Party - a great activity for kids!
- Butterfly Sanctuary
- Koala World
- Reptile Park
Go out on the Reef!
Spend the day in the sun, snorkling off pristine islands, scuba driving with turtles and explore the coral reef!
- Glass Botton Boat
Milla Milla Falls - North QLD
Travel out of Cairns to explore some of what NORTH QLD has to offer families on the Tablelands and surrounds -
- Lake Eacham - Absolutely breathtaking spot, Bring Swimmers, Kayaks, Inflatables! - 1 Hour Drive
- Lake Barrine - no swimming here but has a sweet tea house - 1 hr drive
- The GIANT Figtree Curtain
- Milla Milla Falls circuit
- Mungali Icecream on the tablelands
- Atherton - Crystal Caves, a Crystal Mueseum!
- Strawberry picking near Atherton ( must do kids activity for North QLD)
- Yungaburra Markets and Village cafes
- Herberton Histroic Village Step back in time and see life in the past! A must see - ( 1.5 hours drive )
- Chillagoe Caves Take the kids CAVING!! ( 3 Hours Drive )
- Paronella Park - Explore an old castle! ( 1.15 Hr Drive )
- Mossmon Gorge ( 1 hour )
- Babinda Boulders ( 1 hour )
- Daintree Rainforest
- Portdouglas Wildlife Park
Kayaking at Lake Eacham
Visit the Herberton Historic Village just a couple of hours drive from Cairns, A MUST DO educational activity for the whole family
Explore Chillagoe Caves just a few hours drive from Cairns! A Life experience to remember, we suggest going in winter as its HOT! Also.. pack well as theres not many shops
Of Course... as we end our Adventure of Cairns and surrounding areas, you must stop in to our Earth Toys store for a PLAY!
We have a wonderful treasure trove of gifts, toys and activities that we have curated since 2011.
We LOVE Far North QLD, we LOVE PLAY and know that spending time with your children playing together or going on adventures is creating memories and family connection and THAT is so important!
We hope you have enjoyed reading through our favourite experiences in Cairns and that this list inspires you to get out and ENJOY our amazing Far North QLD with your kids!
Playfully - Bree And Brad and our 3 Toy Shop Adventure loving Kids!