Caving with Kids - Chillagoe Caves Tropical North Queensland
Far North QLD has so much to offer families that love some adventure and exploring Nature!
Caving is an awesome experience to do with kids in FNQ, only a few hours out of Cairns!
We stayed 3 days at the Eco Lodge in Chillagoe and all had such a great time exploring the natural rock caves during the day. It was quite hot, even in Winter so I would suggest avoiding summer!
There are 6 caves to explore in Chillagoe, 3 are paid and ranger guided and 3 can be explored independently for free!
We all felt a bit like Indiana Jones while exploring the caves, darting through dark underground corridors, climbing over steep rocks and clambering down tunnels!
Our kids are 9, 6 and 2 and were all physically capable for these adventures, I carried our toddler some of the way after a full day of walking.
Chillagoe is a small mining town out west from Cairns in Far North QLD, it is a dry area and there is very little out there, lots of farms and mines but not many cafes or shops.
- We recommend bringing some fresh fruit and snacks as there are no supermarkets!
- We ate at the Chillagoe pub for dinner each night and played Pool with the locals
- We recommend staying a night or three to fully experience all that Chillagoe area has to offer.
Explore the caves
The cave tours take you through daylit passages and pitch DARK chambers, finding amazing calcite crystals, stalagmites and stalactites, underground fig trees, sleeping bats, naturally sculptured limestone in magnificent ‘chandelier’ formations and ancient marine fossils!
- Many steep stairs, rocks to climb, long walks
- Low overhang rocks require visitors to walk crouched for several metres at a time.
- You do require moderate fitness and a sense of adventure to enjoy this weekend trip
Self-guided cave tours
Visitors must be well prepared and are responsible for their own safety.
- The Archways (Grade : easy)
- Pompeii Cave ( Grade : moderate )
- Bauhinia Cave (Grade : difficult) We didn't do this one as we thought it might be too challenging with our two year old. Bring multiple torches as its dark!!
- Donna Cave tour - ( We missed the Donna Cave however heard great reviews from other travellers. )
- Trezkinn Cave tour
- Royal Arch Cave tour
Tickets for the guided tours must be purchased in advance from Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service staff based at The Hub in the Chillagoe township.
Phone (07) 4094 7111 for bookings
Besides exploring Caves there is a beautiful creek to swim in, a nature walk to discover a MASSIVE balancing rock, finding ancient aboriginal artwork on rock faces and the mining Smelters to explore, learning about the history of mining in FNQ.
The Smelters -
It was very interesting to read the information signs, learning the history of mining in FNQ and seeing the left over ruins of what was once a thriving mining town.
If you keep walking up the hill from the mining smelters you discover this amazing view overlooking the region.
I hope our CAVING Adventures inspires you to get out and explore FNQ with your kids!
- The Earth Toys Family
Bree, Bree & our 3 Toyshop kids
Here are some topical toys and activities to take with you on your adventure!